Thursday, February 7, 2008

Review: "Happy for No Reason" by Marci Shimoff

I picked up this book recently, mostly because it was just released in January and I caught wind of the promotions for this book. Although I've been a practicioner of the Law of Attraction and write this blog, I never gave much thought to learning how to raise my Happiness. Until recently I never came across anything substantial regarding happiness, other than, "do what makes you happy." Not that I didn't need nor want happiness. I was just comfortable with where I was and felt a general sense of happiness. Well, in retrospect, maybe it was contentedness.

The book is authored by Marci Schimoff with Carol Kline. Marci is the coauthor of Chicken Soup for the Woman's Soul and briefly featured in the movie The Secret.

This is the first book I've read devoted to the emotion and psychology of Happiness. With little surprise, since I started reading this book, I've been exposed to many resources, blog postings, studies, videos and references to Happiness. Some of which can be found at the end of this post.

Having interviewed 100 people she calls The Happy 100, this book is filled with numerous examples of what people do for happiness. These stories are filled with examples of how people have transformed their lives, not through money and things, but learning to live a life of happiness.

This book also provides scientific studies and research done on the emotion and psychology of Happiness. I tend to like scientific documentation and support of claims that someone makes. Don't get the wrong idea, I find the actual scientific reports to be less than interesting. I do like to have someone else trudge through the scientific research and translate into common English. Marci Shimoff did just that very well.

This is an easy and enjoyable book to read. Marci uses an extended metaphor of building a house as our house of happiness. Starting with a foundation, the framework, roof and finally the outside garden. Each chapter gives a woven blend of scientific studies and research, Marci shares her personal history and stories from The Happy 100 give real world examples of people with little to no happiness and how to develop greater happiness. Also in each chapter are exercises we can incorporate into our lives to raise our happiness.

Some of the best things I learned in this book:

- Just reading and learning about happiness, raises one's happiness.

- Others have challenges and hard times. By learning HOW to be happy, we can live a more fulfilling life.

- Happy people live longer.

- Happy people have better relationships.

- Happy people make more money.

- Happy people are healthier.

- Happy people are, well, happier.

I recommend reading Happy for No Reason.



Other posts you will enjoy about happiness:

Check out The Happiness Project at AlexShalman.com

You can find The Hidden Truth About Happiness at 7P Productions


A 22 minute video of Daniel Gilbert, a scientist who studies happiness.





Like this post? Leave a comment. Thank you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That video really illustrates the point that happiness is subjective and all these little outside things we look for really arent the answer.

Dean Lacono said...

You are so right. I've found out the hard and long way. Since I started focusing more on being happy in the first place, more than getting something or someone, I'm already happy with whatever I do have. Everything else is icing on the cake.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dean,

I came across this article because of the link (I blog at 7P Productions - thanks for the link :) ).

It's refreshing to see the message starting to come out that being happy is a good pursuit in and of itself, rather than pursuing THINGS that are supposed to make us happy.

It's simple, but to me, it's also revolutionary. Great blog!

Dean Lacono said...

Hi Al,

It's interesting, not surprising, that I'm comming across so much information about Happiness being the key. I've heard it before, but now it seems to be everywhere.

I've been implimenting so many happiness practices from the book and what I've learned elsewhere. It's a good feeling to be happy MORE than LESS. :)

Thanks for visiting and the compliment.